“Climbing the balcony” is a leadership principle I learned some time ago which simply means taking the time to step back from the ground-to-ground work to evaluate, gain perspective, and, if necessary, redirect your ministry, work, or life. Stepping back can sometimes be a hard thing to do as we are tempted to engage the urgent and pressing needs that face us on a daily basis. However, putting the urgent aside and stepping back is a vital part of any success and needs to be worked into life and flow of any work or daily routine. Climbing the balcony allows you to see things that can be lost if you are only on the ground floor, or as the old saying goes…it’s easy to lose sight of the forest for the trees.
Well, we have had the luxury of climbing the balcony over the past week at the Ranch, and it has been extremely helpful after a grueling and exhausting summer. We are currently evaluating everything and charting a course for the next stage of the ranch development. One simple way to climb the balcony is to take a look at numbers. Numbers matter because numbers are people and numbers tell stories. Every number represents someone who has come to the ranch and has had the opportunity to encounter the presence of God, be equipped for the work of God, and extend the Kingdom of God.
Here are some numbers that gave us on the ranch staff pause for reflection and celebration at all that the Lord has done this year…and the year isn’t even over yet!
So far this year….
- 5 straight weeks of summer day camps
- 10 kayak ministry excursions with 68 people
- 17 intern and junior interns in our summer internship program; 7 from the US, 10 from Mexico
- 75 disabled kids and parents at one horse clinic
- 131 people on short term trips from the US in 12 different groups
- 210 nationals from Mexican churches on retreats and special events
- 370 nationals have come through our various day camps, horse clinics, and mid-week programs
It may be difficult at times to step back…but it is so worth it to gain proper perspective.
Thank you to all our supporters both financial and spiritual. Your partnership makes a difference in the lives of individuals and families.