We are all finally here in Guadalajara! It was a crazy adventure for both of us in terms of travel: Pete’s road trip with his friend, Dan, went really well! They enjoyed the drive down Baja, the boat ride to the Mainland, and arrived without problems to Guadalajara. I (Emily) was delayed for 2 days in Dallas because of the tornadoes that hit the area. The girls, my parents, and I spent some time in “shelters” in the airport while the storms went through. (Shelters being bathrooms b/c there are no windows…). But God really used the delay to comfort me about a few things…the biggest being that my girls will be fine! The girls were great. We had 2 LONG (as in 16 + hour) days, and they didn’t complain. We also got to spend some time talking with the others waiting for the Guadalajara flight. Specifically I had some great conversations in Spanish with 2 women while our children played together. God was gently reminding me why we are moving, that kids don’t really need to talk in order to play, and that He wants us to share His name and life and joy no matter where we are…in Mexico, in the airport, in the grocery store…wherever.
Anyway…now we’re here. There is a lot to get used to and we’re looking forward to sharing our journey with you as you join us in prayer as we learn and grow so as to be more effective in ministry here, and ultimately in La Paz on the Ranch! Our first job this coming week is to continue to get settled before language school and all of our orientation activities begin.
Some praises and prayer requests as we come to mind in your prayers to our King.
1. We are so very thankful for the house God has provided for us here in Guadalajara for the next 7 months or so. We are close to a park where the girls can enjoy a lot of activities and we have some wonderful neighbors. There are also a lot of families who spend time at the park, so God has put us in a place where we can build quite a few relationships. We’ll get pictures up soon.
2. We have a lot of great memories of our last week with all of you, and your encouragement and support has really encouraged us! Thank you!
3. Please continue to pray for our adjustment. Pete will begin language school on April 30, and Emily will begin meeting with a language tutor and continue developing relationships in the neighborhood. (As a reminder, our first months here in Mexico are devoted to learning the language and culture so that we can be effective in ministry on the Ranch. (It’s like “boot camp” for you military folks…only hopefully no one yells at us, lol.)
4. We have already met some neighbors: Alicia, Laura, Esther. Please pray as we continue to get to know them. They have been a huge blessing to us as we have asked them many questions already in the 5 days we’ve been here. We pray that God will give us many opportunities to share why we are here, why we have the hope we have in Jesus Christ.
5. We have so much to learn about life here. Please pray for daily energy and strength!
We will post pictures as soon as we can. (We are using our co-workers house to borrow their internet and do this post. We will hopefully get internet in our house in a few days or so, we’ll see). We just wanted to give a quick update. We love you all. Thanks for your prayers and support!!